5/5/12

Shelf Candy Saturday #5




Shelf Candy Saturday is a seriously awesome weekly meme hosted by Steph over at 

I love this meme, because I love art and it allows us to look closely at the stunning book cover art we adore and talk about the amazing designers behind these book covers.

So my pick for this week is...
The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer
The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about. 

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

I love this cover. I think it's so magical and reminds me of being a kid and believing that somewhere out there, there is a secret magical world just waiting  to be discovered. It also brings back memories  of the times I watched Out of the Box and wanted my own cardboard house. But all that aside, I just like all the classic fairy tales represented on the cover. I think it's so cool that on the left side there is Snow White, complete with a witch's cauldron, a couple of apples of which one even has a bite taken out of it! And then on the right side there's Sleeping Beauty complete with a spindle. I also like that the kids are floating in the air. I feel like they've just discovered this world and are falling out of the sky from their world. I just love the thought and detail put into the cover. (I also like the combination of green and gold on the cover, although I'm not so sure it works for my post. :)


The Designer 
The  illustrator is Brandon Dorman.
He's done cover art for the #1 New York Times bestselling picture book, The Wizard, the bestselling series,  Fablehaven, and the extremely popular series, Goosebumps. ( That is so awesome! I love Goosebumps! I own some of them in Dutch, although he's not the illustrator for the Dutch versions.)

You can find the designer here:

I actually checked out mr. Dorman's website and I really like his work. 

It's funny because I found this book on Goodreads yesterday through the author. I've recently gotten addicted to watching the TVshow Glee and Kurt Hummel is my favorite character. And the actor who plays Kurt, Chris Colfer, also happens to be the author of this book.

I think it's great that Chris is trying his hand at writing, which is interesting since I don't think I've ever been excited about a celebrity getting a book out there before. 

 Anyway, so I've decided that I'll be getting this after it comes out, which is on July 17 2012, because:
  1. I love fairy tales.
  2. I think Chris Colfer is an amazing actor .
  3. I've decided to completely ignore the fact that this book is not directed at my age group, because in my opinion while you can be too young to read certain material, you're never too old to read it, especially when it comes to fairy tales I'm cool like that *cough.
Wait, I think I went off topic. 
What I was trying to say is that I started out liking this book because of the author, but ended up liking it even more because of the synopsis and the amazing cover. 
So instead of featuring it on Waiting on Wednesday, I decided to feature it here.

So what do you think? Do you love the cover as much as I do? 



5 comments:

  1. This cover is so fun, and I agree never too old!

    http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/05/shelf-candy-saturday-and-series-us.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY See? Here's to never being too old to read any book *clink ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Kimberley!! OMG! Do I love this cover as much as you do? Yes, that much, and MORE. This is an absolutely beautiful, magical cover!! Everything about it is wonderful!! The colors, the details, the lettering, the layout... what an AMAZING cover!!!

    I don't watch "Glee" because I work nights, but I've heard of Kurt. It's great that the actor who plays this character is also a writer! He's in good company, too, because Hilary Buff is another celebrity who also writes.

    This book is going right onto my TBR bokoshelf on Goodreads like...RIGHT NOW.

    Thanks for featuring this gorgeous book!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read I'm not the only one who's excited for this. :)

    And you really should try Glee. I started watching it a few weeks ago, because my sister was . While I know and love some of the performances, I'd never watched the actual show. Now I think it's awesome. It tackles real life issues and puts this almost magical spin on it through song, while still keeping it realistic. I just love the morals it teaches. I just thought it would be a show about songs but it's more than that. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Oh and I was a big fan of Hillary Duff as a kid. I grew up with her movies and TV show, Lizzie McGuire. I think I even had a Lizzie McGuire watch at one point. I haven't read her book though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a very fun, fairy tale cover. love the wold on the cover and the magical feel of the book. great pick this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...