4/14/12

Shelf Candy Saturday #2


Shelf Candy Saturday is a seriously awesome weekly meme hosted by Steph over at 

I love this meme, because I love art and it allows us to look closely at the stunning book cover art we adore and talk about the amazing designers behind these book covers.

My pick this week is...

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
Vessel

In a desert land where serpents made of unbreakable glass fly through the sky and wolves made of only sand hunt within storms, Liyana is destined to be a vessel, to sacrifice herself so that her clan’s goddess can inhabit her body... but her goddess never comes.

 I adore this cover. I think it's absolutely breathtaking. The way the colors work together is unbelievable. The shades of brown, red, pink, orange and yellow of the fabric in the model's hands just flow beautifully into each other. I have never loved these colors as much as I do when I look at this cover. I love the pose of the model and the movement of the fabric, which is called Fabric Whooshing. The model looks incredibly fierce and determined. I also love the tattoos on her arms. And I really can't get over how vibrant the colors are. The cover just pops. And I love the smoky background. I also love how the title kind of reminds me of a shadow. Both the title and the name of the author stand out, while somehow still managing to blend in to their part of the cover. The full moon in the background also works well with the rest of the cover. And last but definitely not least, the tagline, barely there, but easy to read nonetheless. LOVE IT!

The Designer

The designer of this cover is the photographer Jaime Ibarra

(From the photographer's website) 

I was originally built in Spain, but I grew up in Australia: it’s complicated, but it explains the funny accent.

I am a Professional Portrait/Art Photographer, but I am also known to do Editorial, Fashion, Commercial and Advertising work.

My work is widely published here on Earth, as well as…well, that’s the only planet I am aware of, so far. There’s still time yet, though.

I have Synaesthesia (“syn” – joined, “aethesia” – sense): a neurological condition, in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. Kind of like a wire is crossed between senses…one sense triggers another in a normally unrelated manner. For example, music might be “seen” in colours and patterns, or taste may be seen in shapes, letters and numbers may have textures, etc.

In my case, I hear colours, almost as-if they were musical notes. Combinations of colours are like combinations of notes, and become chords…and just as in music, some chords are dissonant, and tense…and some chords are complex and beautiful. In my work (more-or-less), I just choose colours that make the nicest music together. Although this is considered a “condition”, I like to think of it as a Super-Power :)

My ‘style’ is the visual amalgamation of over 15 years in Graphic Design, 25 years of composing & performing music, many years spent traveling around the planet, a lifetime of over-romanticizing things, insomnia, an unfaltering fascination with humans, a hyperactive imagination, and an obsessive need to create.

It all adds up. Somehow.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jaime Ibarra was commissioned by Simon & Schuster Publishing, NY to produce the cover art for Vessel.

For this production, mr. Ibarra assembled a dream-team consisting of:

Makeup & Styling » Mirabai Wagner - http://fontonista.deviantart.com
Additional Retouching » Solstice Retouch - http://www.solsticeretouch.com
Additional Makeup & Whooshing® Coach » Jessa Peters - http://www.jessamodel.com
Model » Kristin (BMG Model Management)

You can see some (cover) production shots here, just scroll down a little and click on the shots :). I would put them here, but they are copyrighted and I'm pretty sure featuring them goes against that.

You can find the photographer here:

What do you think of the cover of Vessel? Have you ever heard of the designer? Have you heard of the book and are you planning on reading it when it comes out?

I'd never heard of the designer before, but I think this cover is amazing. And I think it's really cool that he can hear colors. (It actually reminds me of something I read in The Veil by Cory Putman Oakes). It might explain how he's so great at combining colors, having them simultaneously blend together and stand out. It's really remarkable. I'm definitely planning on reading this book once it comes out, since the synopsis intrigues me and I put the book on my TBR pile based on the synopsis first. The stunning cover is just an added bonus.

*Leave your SCS link in the comments and I'll do my best to drop by your blog :)


9 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post, and beautiful cover. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its beautiful. And a bit mysterious. I had not heard of the book before but it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with this cover. The colors, the movement and that perfect model who is not only beautiful, but has the look of strength. Jaime Ibarra did a wonderful job of capturing the perfect frame. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kimberley, what a STUNNING cover!! I love Ibarra's statemments about art, and the condition known as synaesthesia. I'm going to check out all the links you provided for him. As for the book, not only does it have a gorgeous cover, but the synopsis also sounds fabulous!! Yes, I'm adding it to my TBR list on Goodreads!! I can't wait for it to come out!! Thanks for featuring it!! : )

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, and thanks for following me back!!!! WOOT, WOOT!!! )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, great color combination!

    "I hear colours, almost as-if they were musical notes." I don't know much about his condition; I can imagine it's difficult but this part of it almost sounds magical. It makes you wonder...like what would your blog background sound like?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...