4/5/12

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong


The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)Synopsis

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.   

Until now. 

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet. 

In The Gathering, New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy. 

Cover Art by Carrie Schechter.


What I think
I've read a lot of books by Kelley Armstrong and I think she gets better with every book. I loved this one! It just sucked me in so fast I didn't even realize what was happening. It's madness, I tell you! Madness!
But seriously, this book was a page-turner from start to finish.

I loved the story. Kelley Armstrong has a really unique way of story, world and character building. I'd like to think that I'd be able to identify her as the author of a book, even if I hadn't seen the cover with her name on it.

The Story
I really liked the story. It started out with a bang, kind of shocking and awesome, which in my opinion is the best way to start a book. It totally made me curious, which I guess was the point. And I kept being curious throughout the book. There was just so much mystery. Even though there were a few things that were pretty obvious, it managed to keep me guessing. I'm still trying to figure some stuff out. You know how some books that are part of a series either answer most of the burning questions by the end of the book and either end with a cliffhanger by creating new conflict before the ending of the book or they end relatively finished and just create new problems in the next book? This is not one of them. Neither were any of the Darkest Powers books. Kelley Armstrong starts out building up her story by piling up question upon question and by the end of the book only a few are answered. So basically you're only satisfied when you've finished the entire series and even then sometimes it's questionable. I swear I'm insatiable when it comes to this women's writing. And you might say: "But Kimmy, that's the point. You're not supposed to feel satisfied, not until you've finished the  entire series." But here's the thing, I'm sure I've read part-of-series books that left me both satisfied and dying to read the next book. But maybe that's just my imagination.

OK, so back to the actual book.

The Characters
I really liked the characters. While no character can reach the level of awesomeness that are Clay and Elena from the Women of the Otherworld series, these characters are definitely worth reading about.
Maya was a really nice and sweet person with a great sense of humor. I especially loved her relationship with her parents, how she teased them  and they took it in stride. The whole thing just got hilarious sometimes.

I also really liked Daniel. He was just the best friend a girl could have. He was so supportive and protective of Maya. Well, if I'm honest, Maya and Daniel were supportive and protective of each other. It was just so obvious that they care about each other and that they can always count on each other.

Then there was Rafe. I'm not sure what to make of him. I see him as kind of a sexy bad boy and a little guarded, but underneath it all he can be a really sweet and loyal person (and still sexy). ( I think I need to write my own definition of sweet for a guy, because I suddenly get the feeling that "sweet" sounds girly or geeky, and Rafe is anything but that).  I also like Rafe's relationship with Maya. I love how competitive they get when they're around each other. I just love them together.

The only problem I really had with this book is that it just wasn't long enough, therefore I hated the ending. It was probably a perfectly good ending, all "everything is okay for now" but I still hate it. Because it came too fast! I want more...Now! I still have so many questions, there's so much that still needs to be resolved!

*mumbles Ugh, but I loved it.

The gist
This is a seriously awesome, highly addictive page-turner with just a hint of humor. What are you still doing here? Go! Buy it!

5 Smileys



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...