3/4/12

Shadows (Lux 0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Shadows (Lux, #0.5)
Synopsis:
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable. 

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. Captivated. Lured. Loved. 

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.

(* I couldn't resist making this cover a little larger. You know, for those who can't see too well. ;))




What I think
First of all, this has to be the longest novella in the history of novellas. And I loved every minute of it. (Authors everywhere, THIS is how it’s done).

Dawson and Bethany were such a cute couple, to the point that it was disgustingly completely sweet and adorable at times. I really like Dawson, he’s basically the polar opposite of Daemon. Trust me on this. Dawson’s friendly (Bethany could actually tell Dawson and Daemon apart because one was always ready with a smile and the other was always ready with a glare, true story), caring, thoughtful and sexy with a teeny tiny bit of a wild side. (Hello middle-of-the-classroom make-out session!)

This book also gave me a better understanding of Daemon and why he acts the way he does. That isn’t to say that Daemon was an angel before everything went down with his brother, but I like to think that Daemon would’ve been less of a jerk to Katy if things hadn’t happened the way they did.

Reading about Dawson also made me realize that I might like Daemon more than I thought I did. When it comes to having a good, simple relationship, Dawson is definitely the more reliable horse hottie to bet on. But when it comes to the story, I like that Daemon’s a complicated guy. You never know  what he’ll do next, which makes for a pretty unpredictable relationship between him and his Kitten, not to mention explosive chemistry and hilarious banter. I’m sure I’ll still feel like punching him every once in a while all the time, but I’m starting to think that I wouldn’t have it any other way.

(By the way, on more than one occasion in the book, Daemon emphasized how much he hates humans and how he wouldn’t be caught dead with one. It made me smile and think to myself “Never say never, Daemon. Never say never.” It felt like an inside joke between the author and those who have read Obsidian.)

The gist
In short, I loved reading about Dawson and Bethany. I’ve been dying to know more about them ever since they were first mentioned in Obsidan. And they did not disappoint. This is a must-read if you’re curious about how it all began and if you want a better understanding of Daemon. 

(Come on, you know want it.)

5 Smileys



4 comments:

  1. Omygoshh look at the cover *drools* Shadows was so fantastic! This was soooo awesomesauce!! Dawson and Bethany are the sweetest! You couldn't help not loving them. If fans of this series read Obsidian first, as I did, you will know what happens to our sweet couple.
    Dawson was the complete opposite of Daemon. Dawson was like sunshine, unicorns and rainbows while Daemon was all thunder and lightning. Shadows gave an insight of why Daemon was the way he is in Obsidian. Even in Shadows, Daemon kept people at arms' length and was the parent figure in the family as he was the oldest - by a few minutes. I understood Daemon better and his behavior in Obsidian was justifiable as it was like history repeating itself all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Dawson really was all puppies and rainbows. He was just so sweet. I loved him. But I also like Daemon's complex nature, mostly because it makes him unpredictable and it creates great chemistry between him and Kat. Because he's so unpredictable and hilarious, I might like him a teeny bit more. Not because he's an ass. Which he is. Have you seen the blog post (I don't remember the blog's name) where Daemon answers questions for a few hours in the comments? I think it's called "A Chat With Daemon From Obsidian". His answers are hilarious!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely could not get my hands on this book soon enough. Like many people, I had already read Obsidian and loved it. I did have some idea as to what was coming in Shadows but I was still enthralled. I was jonesing for more Daemon and even though Shadows is Dawson's and Bethany's story, Daemon still got plenty of screen time - so to speak. Maybe enough to hold me over until Onyx...but I just don't know. Actually, I lie...I reread Obsidian, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah I'm dying to read Onyx too. An ARC of that book would be heaven (or at least awesomeness)!

      I don't re-read books that often (actually almost never). I don't know why. I do feel like re-reading books I love but even then I rarely do it. Maybe because I like to be surprised when reading a book and if I've already read it I'll know what's coming. So if I've forgotten what a book was about I'll re-read it and maybe if I feel like I missed stuff the first time around. :)

      Delete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...