3/20/12

The Night She Disappeared by April Henry


Synopsis
The Night She Disappeared
Gabie drives a Mini Cooper. She also works part time as a delivery girl at Pete’s Pizza. One night, Kayla—another delivery girl—goes missing. To her horror, Gabie learns that the supposed kidnapper had asked if the girl in the Mini Cooper was working that night. Gabie can’t move beyond the fact that Kayla’s fate was really meant for her, and she becomes obsessed with finding Kayla. She teams up with Drew, who also works at Pete’s. Together, they set out to prove that Kayla isn’t dead—and to find her before she is.










What I think:
I really liked this book. It's weird, because not much actually happens, but the way it's written, the mystery, the suspense, it just makes the book so engaging that you just can't stop reading because you have to find out how everything turns out.

The story is told from four points of view, that of Drew, Gabie, Kayla and Kayla's kidnapper. If someone told me that they read a book that was written from four points of view, my first thought would be: "That must've been confusing." But this wasn't. On the contrary, it added to the story. It was interesting to know what the "key players" were thinking at different moments during the story. It also made it possible to experience certain moments through the character actually going through it, instead of having to learn it through a character who was only being told about it.
-------------------------------
mini-rant
It's the difference between:
Junior in the hospital (thinking): " I just woke up and my head hurts.What's my name?! I don't remember!" and
Gina listening to the teacher: "Class, Junior is in the hospital. He was in an accident."
Telling the story from both Gina and Junior's point of view, instead of just Gina's can make the difference between a book that's a snooze-fest and one that contains fireworks. Trust me, the difference is BIG.
--------------------------------
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really warming up to the idea of multiple points of view. If it's done well that is. And this one did it well.

The story spans a time period of about two weeks (not counting what I would call the epilogue), starting with the night Kayla is abducted and coming to a close after she's found. The book takes it one day at a time, showing each day from the different points of view. I think it's a very unique way of writing and it fit the story. I also liked the barely there paranormal aspect of the story.Even now I wonder...was it real or was it just wishful thinking?

But what I think I loved most was the detail, the supporting materials added to the story. A paragraph would either be preceded or followed up by evidence or general information on how cases are handled that wouldn't seem important until it turned out that it was.

Although there was a lot of attention to detail when it came to making the story believable, at the same time some things were left to the imagination. While on some level I like and appreciate that, I also kind of hate open endings. While the ending of this one wasn't really open it also didn't feel finished. We never find out what exactly happened on the night of Kayla's disappearance although there's a lot of speculation throughout the book. I also wish Gabie and Drew's friendship was addressed in the end.

The gist
This was a nice, quick read. The writing style was unlike any I've read before and the book was all the better because of it. If you're looking for an interesting read with a bit of mystery and a hint of suspense, then this is the book for you.

4 Smileys



2 comments:

  1. I love multiple POVs! They do have to be done well but when they are you get to really understand the story more. You can see what each character was thinking I love it. I love mysteries so this one sounds like a good one. Although I also like a nice closed ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to love the multiple POVs and I actually never thought I would. But I've read a few ones recently that had multiple POVs and I loved them. I especially applaud this one because four different POVs are probably not easy to do. Well, I'm kind of on the fence about the ending. Most things were addressed but not everything. In the book Gabie, Kayla and Drew decided not to tell the media about everything that happened, so maybe that's why not everything was addressed. Still, it was a good book :).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...