3/9/12

Falling in Between by Devon Ashley


Falling in Between (Falling, #1)
Synopsis:
Finally! A private conversation. And all I had to do was throw myself off a cliff, drown in a pond in my undies and let him put his hands on my breasts to bring me back to life. Yay me! (yeah, that’s sarcasm) 
Yep, that pretty much sums up the most craptastic night of Jenna Baker’s life. She drowns after jumping off a cliff, meets a hotty named Chance in the pearlescent in-between and is brought back to life by her soon-to-be boyfriend Robert. 
  

Just when things start to move forward with Robert, the guy she'd been crushing on for a year now, in walks the man of her dreams – literally. Chance suddenly appears in her dream every time she closes her eyes. So it's Robert by day and Chance by night. One in the real world and one in the dream world. What could possibly go wrong? 

Absolutely nothing – until she comes face to face with the guy she met in the in-between, and realizes her romantic rendezvous with Chance may be more than just her imagination. 

Mature YA (17+) / Coming of Age / New Adult 
Note: Some mild language and sexual content.

What I think
Can I just say that I love the cover of this book? It’s so pretty! I love the nuance and the pink dress and everything.

So I’ve been pining for this book ever since I saw it on a Waiting on Wednesday post last year. And I’m glad to say that I really liked it. It was interesting and romantic. But what really made this book different was the writing style. I really had to get used to it.  

First of all, this book very much revolves around relationships, romance and sex. It was very straightforward, which kind of shocked me a little since a lot of Young Adult books are kind of chaste. Some are so chaste that it takes them at least half the book to get to a teeny tiny kiss on the lips. So this was a surprise.( Which It shouldn’t have been since this book is directed at mature teens. I only realized how true that was after I’d read the book.) But besides the straightforwardness there was also a lot more tell than show. Normally I don’t like this, but in this case, it compensated for the straightforwardness. As in a lot of the time I felt like I was sitting with Jenna on her bed and she was gushing about her amazing date that ended with amazing sex. Because of that I think this is still more chaste than the lengthy I-feel-like-I’m-experiencing-it-too descriptions that can be found in Adult books.

I have to say that once I got used to the writing style, I liked it. I loved how realistic it was. The author looked at a very real and very possible situation and made it into a beautiful story. (At least I think it could happen.) And you know how sometimes you read a book and you wonder if the characters have ever heard of bowel movements or if the couples have ever heard of arguments?  This wasn’t like that. OK, so there were no bowel movements involved, but this book was about real teens with real (raging) hormones and real dilemmas and I loved that. It was really sweet and romantic, but at the same time it was hot, sexy and yes, realistic and I liked how the author combined all of those things and made them work together.

Don’t even get me started on the characters. I love Chance! With his dreamy mossy green eyes with gold flecks and his sweet, playful and flirty personality there was just no stopping my crush on him from developing. *sigh

I liked Jenna and her friend Sophie. I also liked Robert, the guy certainly had his adorably sweet and romantic moments, but I just loved Chance more from the start. Oh and I liked Jhett, mostly because of that little talk he had with Jenna. It was sweet and honest.

The gist
This was just a beautiful, romantic story, not to mention hot and sexy, that makes you wonder what if…and could it be possible?

4 Smileys



4 comments:

  1. Great review :)

    I've added it to my list :D Following your blog now!
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the synopsis, this sounds quite humorous :-)

    Thanks for checking out the cover reveal for LABYRINTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is and it's actually one of the reasons why I wanted to read it. But based on the synopsis I expected more humor. Even so, it's a good read.

    You're welcome! I love both covers by the way and the the blurbs make me want to read the books :).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...