1/3/12

Top 10 Characters in 2011: The Good, The Bad and The In-Betweens

Ok, so we'll just pretend that a day has more than 24 hours (and that Blogger isn't aware of this), since I said in my first Top 10 of 2011 post that I'd make all five posts happen in one day. Anyway this is the fourth topic of the Top 10 of 2011, the meme hosted by Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic, Lisa from A Life Bound By Books, Rachel from Fiktshun and Jaime & Patricia from Two Chicks on Books.

For this post I decided to do a combination of heroines , villains and characters that can’t really be classified as either, simply because I couldn’t come up with 10 characters of just one category.

Top 10 Characters in 2011

The heroines

1.Rosemarie Hathaway and Mia Rinaldi from the Vampire Academy series

 Rose
I think Rose is the ultimate inspiring protagonist. She’s smart, strong and she never gives up. I also love her sense of humor. She has a way of making even the roughest times bearable. And I even love her lesser qualities, because those qualities-her stubbornness and her hotheadedness- are what make her real, what make her Rose.

Mia
I think Mia is amazing. She started out in such a bad place. But she grew and evolved into one of the strongest characters possible throughout the Vampire Academy books. She became down to earth and wise beyond her years. I’m so proud of her.


2.Beatrice ‘Tris’ Prior and her mother

Tris
I was blown away by Tris. Here I’m thinking that I’ll probably never come across another protagonist (besides Katniss) who even gets close to being in the same league as Rose and then Tris comes along. I did not expect her. I think she possesses the best traits of both Katniss and Rose. She’s really smart, brave, and selfless (even if she doesn’t always agree). She may not be very pretty on the outside but she more than makes up for it on the inside.

Tris’ mom
I love Tris’ mom, because she loves unconditionally and because just like Tris she is brave and selfless. You can definitely see where Tris got her awesomeness.

3.Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games series

I think Katniss is the definition of a true heroine. I mean taking your sister’s place in a game that will most likely end in your death, just to keep your sister safe, is heroism at its best. And then you turn around and manage not to give up, but instead fight for your survival. You’re strength, drive and perseverance are admirable. I applaud you, Katniss. It is the least I can do.


4.Kaylee Cavanaugh from the Soul Screamers series

Kaylee=Selfless. The girl helps everyone, everywhere with no regard whatsoever to her own well-being. She constantly watches out for everyone, forgetting to watch out for herself in the process. She’s brave, smart and all-round amazing. She’s always trying to make the world the world a better place. Therefore she is a true heroine.


...even though it nearly got you killed—I nearly got you killed—and I started to understand how special you are. 

“You think I need to be rescued?" 
"I think it doesn't hurt to let someone else do the rescuing every now and then, when your own armor starts to get banged up.” 


Look, even Tod agrees with me.

The In-Betweens

5.Daemon Black from Obsidian

I wanted Daemon on this list because I love to hate (and sometimes love) his character. I decided to put him in the In-Betweens because he’s not quite bad, since he has these uncharacteristically sweet and sexy moments. But he’s also not quite good, since he’s a jerk about 85% of the time. And I’m OK with that. With a name like Daemon I think I’d be disappointed if he had an angelic personality.

6.Eden Winslow from The Warriors of Ankh series

I put Eden here because she wasn't quite good at the beginning of this series, due to her nature. But at the same she wasn't quite bad, fighting the evil she was expected to become every step of the way. Plus when it comes to her personality she isn't exactly an angel.

But Eden possesses qualities any heroine would kill to have. She’s strong. She’s a fighter and a survivor. She can be outright mean sometimes, but she has a kind heart, standing up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.

7.Anna Korlov From Anna Dressed in Blood


Ok, so I think Anna actually is bad in the traditional sense of the word, but I just couldn’t put her with the villains, because while she is evil and murderous she can’t really help it. Underneath all that she’s a sweet girl. I wouldn’t want to meet her in a dark alley, though.



The Villains

8.His Evilness, Avari from the Soul Screamers series


Avari is a hellion of avarice (greed). He tortures the souls of people who sold them in exchange for fame and fortune. He makes for a very good villain. He reminds me of a businessman. Granted, a very cunning and conniving businessman, but still a businessman. He’s heartless, but not too unreasonable, unless he owns your soul or you piss him off. Then you've got a problem. Just ask Addy and Kaylee.

9.Teagan Winslow from The Warriors of Ankh series


Teagan is a creep, plain and simple. And he’s the slimy kind that can only be found under a rock. *shudders. But he owns the creepiness. He also believed that he owned Eden and he would do anything to get her back. You do not want to deal with this guy or get in his way. Better yet, make sure you’re never in the same continent as him.


10.Marcus from The Significance series

I think that Marcus is the ultimate villain. I don’t think he has a conscience. Actually I doubt that he’s ever heard of the word. If there was ever a school for villains he’d be the headmaster. Marcus wants power and everything that comes with it and I’m pretty sure he’d kill to get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...