1/14/12

Divergent by Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. 

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

What I think:
I loved this book so much!
First of all, the cover is absolutely gorgeous. And the meaning behind the symbol is just beautiful. I’d actually like a necklace with that symbol as the pendant. I also like the title. It’s catchy.

OK, so on to the story. I can’t get over how original, unique, creative and downright awesome the story was. It blew my mind! It’s just such a breath of fresh air to read a book in which the author created a world that I haven’t encountered before.  A world where the people are divided into factions based on the virtues Candor, Abnegation, Amity, Erudite, Dauntless and let’s not forget…the factionless. I really loved this world-although I wouldn’t want to live in it- and how the author worked out the details, all the while making them make perfect sense. 

But I get why people compare this book to the Hunger Games. It has the same feel. This world is ruthless and the heroine is a survivor just like Katniss from the Hunger Games. I think she possesses the best qualities of two of my favorite characters, the first one being Katniss and the second one Rose from the Vampire Academy. Tris is strong, stubborn, determined, intelligent, selfless and resilient.  Veronica Roth has really created a winning protagonist. Tris is the definition of a true heroine.

Then there is Four. I love him! Can I take him home with me? Pretty Please? I never thought I’d say this about a dude, but there it is, he’s adorable! And I’m not even talking about his looks…yet, which by the way in my mind are absolutely stunning. Here’s just a quick peek into my mind.
So where was I? Right, his personality. He can be sweet and vulnerable one moment and then strong, confident and completely intimidating and dauntless the next. It’s so amazing to finally come across a guy again that is actually nice. One that doesn't feel the need to be a jerk at least 75% of the time.

In short I have no words to describe the awesomeness that is this book. I can say that I read this book in 2011 and the moment I’d read it, I knew it was the one, my favorite read of 2011 that is. What also sets it apart is the message it conveys. I haven’t read a book with such a clear message in a long time. It’s beautiful. It’s empowering.

I mean with quotes like this you just can’t go wrong:

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” 

“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.” 

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” 


5 Smileys



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...