1/24/12

Delirium by Lauren Oliver





Synopsis
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.






What I think:
This book was beautiful. It was so sad and sweet and sometimes everything seemed hopeless, but then there would be a small, but significant light at the end of a tunnel that was thought to have no end.

Can you imagine living in a world where everybody is numb, well almost everybody. And where being numb is considered the norm, something to long for, to embrace. A world where love is viewed as a disease and therefore forbidden, and cured. This community views love as the deadliest of all deadly things, something to be nipped in the bud before it consumes you and ultimately kills you. What got to me about the world created by Lauren Oliver is how completely crazy and absurd the idea of this world seems, but also how completely and terrifyingly possible.

While reading this book, I tried to picture what these “cured” people would be like and I finally settled on Leonard’s mom, Beverly Hofstadter, from The Big Bang Theory. I remember watching an episode where Howard told her that she must be proud of her children, because of their achievements. And she answered: “Why? They’re not my accomplishments.”



I really liked the characters of this book. Lena was a simple girl who didn’t think much of herself. She was afraid, afraid of everything, but I think most of all, of ending up like her mother. Until she met Alex.
Alex was a really sweet, caring character. He taught Lena to love and be loved, one step at a time. I loved the relationship between these two characters, it was so romantic*sigh I actually expected a *shirtless hug (See: Price Peterson).
I really loved this book. The truth is that I’ve had this book for a while, but I never felt like reading it. And then, a few days ago, I just did. It did not disappoint. It’s a good thing that Pandemonium comes out in a month, along with Hana, a short story.


“Mice? Fine. Flying mice? Not so fine.”

“Are you sure that being like everybody else will make you happy?" 
"I don't know any other way." 
 "Let me show you." 
 And then we're kissing. Or at least, I think we're kissing—I've only seen it done a couple of times, quick closed-mouth pecks at weddings or on formal occasions. But this isn't like anything I've ever seen, or imagined, or even dreamed: this is 
like music or dancing but better than both.”

“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”



5 Smileys



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...