1/6/12

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams


Synopsis
After spending six hundred years on Earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago, her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to take the bodies of other humans from jumping from one vessel to the next, ending the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again. 

Then sixteen-year old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, and Sera accidentally takes over her body while trying to save her. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting--and falling in love with the boy who lives next door. But Cyrus will stop at nothing until she's him again, and every moment she stays, she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care about in danger. Will Sera have to give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love?

What I think:
This book was something else. The concept was so unique, so original and well thought out. And I loved it. Let me tell you, I could not put this book down. I was completely enamored by the story.

I liked Seraphina. She was sweet and pretty smart. I was a little impressed.
Cyrus was a legitimate bad guy. It was evident in the way everyone treated him, as if they were only a second away from calling him master.( I think that actually happened at one point) . Anyway, it was also evident in what Sera-I love the short version of her name for some reason- thought about him. I honestly started thinking that the guy was a ticking time bomb.
I really liked Bryan. There was definitely some sarcasm there and I love a guy who can make me laugh.
Noah was really nice and sweet. I wish he had a little more depth, though. Or maybe it’s just that I didn’t get to know him as well as I would’ve liked. The same goes for the parents.

And the ending, people, ugh, I loved and hated this ending. I loved it, because in a way it was brilliant and the possibility of it briefly crossed my mind, but I brushed it off thinking: “Oh, no she wouldn't!. But if what I think happened actually happened, then she definitely did.

But like I said, I also hated the ending, because it was too abrupt, which I think is a typical part-of-a-series-book problem. I don’t mind the cliffhanger, that was brilliant, but it needed a little more of… something leading up to it.

Nevertheless, this book pleasantly surprised me. I started reading it, thinking I’d just read a few pages and then go to bed. Well, so much for going to bed early. But this book was definitely worth it.


4 Smileys




1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. Suck that the ending was so abrupt. But with a series I guess they just want you coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...