12/27/11

Replication: The Jason Experiment by Jill Williamson



Synopsis
When Your Life Is Not Your Own

Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky.
Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars.
As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known.

First of all, I would like to thank Zondervan Publishing House for being the first publisher to grant my review request on Netgalley. This was exactly the push I needed to start posting reviews on my blog (and not just on Goodreads).


My thoughts
When I read the synopsis of this book I was very intrigued. I mean the book is about clones. This is always a good subject to write a book about if it’s done well.  And I believe this was. But it’s also more than just a book about clones. It shows that things always turn out the way they’re supposed to even if they don’t always turn out the way we want them to. And that sometimes Faith is all you need to get through whatever you’re going through.

The story is told from the viewpoints of Abby and Marty(r), also known as J:3:3.
Martyr is a clone who has lived in a lab all his life, isolated from the outside world. Even worse than that, he’s about to expire.  When he escapes from the facility where he lives, he encounters a lot of things for the very first time.  The way he describes and reacts to these things is very interesting.  It reminded me of the way a little kid describes things with his limited vocabulary. It makes him very sweet and innocent and so adorable. Plus it was hilarious.
I really liked Abby. It was funny how she always weighed the pros and cons of a situation. It was like she was always looking for a silver lining. She was very independent and I liked the way she handled situations, like the unwanted attention of J.D. Kane, a guy who’s used to having every girl at school lying at his feet. Not Abby.
I also liked the relationship between Marty and Abby. It was very sweet. Marty and Abby are both protective of each other and everyone else they care about. I just wish Martyr was a little bit better at hand-to-hand combat, so that he could fully embrace his protective nature.

The story really kept me engaged. There was a lot going on especially near the end and I had my theories about a few things (I always have theories). Even though my guesses were right a lot of the time, the way certain things came to light still made it surprising. Religion is definitely an important part of this book.  But even though this is the case, it still manages to not be too preachy.

This book is a great introduction to Christianity. But even if you’re not Christian or if you don’t believe in God, this is still a good read. The story is interesting and definitely worth reading. Besides you don’t have to believe in God to believe in miracles, to believe that anything is possible. 
4 Smileys

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, you guys! I like discussing books and movies and pretty much anything else, so feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...